We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Agios Geogios Alamanos Monastery
The Holly monastery of Agios Georgios Alamanosin Monagroulli is located at the south of the village beneath the highway of Limassol-Nicosia near the caves of a nearby hillside. The monastery was built in the name of the Witness Georgios Tropeoforos.
Local tradition states that in this area the saint Georgios Alamanos once lived. Saint George Alamanos is one of the 300 Alamanous saints which came to Cyrus from Palestine looking for a safe area to live and pray. The many caves which are located in the hillside above the monastery, are thought to have been the area in which they lived in. One of these is where saint Georgios Alamanos also lived.
In addition, Agios Georgios Alamanos monastery is built in a byzantine architecture. In the middle of the courtyard is the catholicon, one part and royal arched. In its interior it is covered with modern Byzantine hagiographies. Around the catholicon, in a square shape are the rooms of the monks.
Outside the monastery there are another four chapels. One small byzantine temple in the cemetery dedicated to the Agious Pandes, a larger one of Agiou Nektariou at the monastery square, and Agiou Stephanou at the monastery gate. Also to the north of the monastery, near the cave of the Elder Germanou Stavrovounioti, a chapel was dedicated to the saints Germano Patriarch of Konstantinopole and Georgio Alamano.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the monastery was changed from a men’s to a women’s monastery in 1949 and it was officially recognised by the Church as being a women’s monastery.
From the time of Ieromonachou Paisiou until 1907 it operated as a men’s monastery. Many monks passed by the monastery and left again. Amongst them was the monk Antonios and his room still exists. On the 4th of May in 1949, the Metropolite of Kiti Makarios made a women’s sisterhood transferring nuns from the monastery of Agios Antoniou in Derynia.
Agios Georgios Old Church, Paralimni
The Agios Georgios Old Church is situated in the Paralimni area in the Ammochostos district. The holy temple of Agios Georgios replaced an older one during the 19th century.
It is located in the centre of Paralimni between the church of Agia Anna (13th century), and the Metropolitan Temple of Agios Georgios which was built during 1963-1966. There is a marble inscription which states that the temple was built in 1859 to replace an older byzantine one, from which some parts were saved and added to the new one. The new church was built in order to accommodate the needs of the increased population of Paralimni.
The inscription was found during the demolition of various classrooms of the old school next to the church and it was carved on a plaque which was on the exterior of the south wall. Earlier on there was a low wall which surrounded the church area. Next to it was a large field which is still there today.
The iconostasis is made of carved wood which was used during the 19th century and is gold plated. There are five rows from the ground floor until the top with a total height of 7.60 metres and a width of 9 metres. All of the icons are dated from the 19th century. The bell tower is of the 19th century and was built later. It is located in the same position of the arch on the south wall.
Agios Georgios Kafkalou
Agios Georgios Kafkalou is about 50 kilometers from Nicosia.
This beautiful village sits near the Troodos Mountains and offers a wonderful view from all directions. Looking out of the village, it is easy to observe the olive groves, the pine-covered mountainside of Madari, the top of Alestou, the pine forests and the Troodos mountain range.
The name of the village of Agios Georgios Kafkalou is connected with a small church that existed in the area, where a monk lived in a cave. In this cave, an icon of the saint was found. Moreover, the name of the village of Agios Georgios Kafkalou is also linked to its location and, more specifically, it is built in a "cauldron".
Agios Georgios is a small population community. In 2001, according to the census of the Statistical Service, the village had only 15 inhabitants, while in 2011 on the basis of community figures, the village had 25. This is considered a significant increase. However, more significant population growth is recorded during the summer months. It is estimated that the population at that time amounts to 140.
Агиос Георгиос (Силику)
Агиос Георгиос (Силику) [Agios Georgios (Sylikou)] &ndash это деревня в области Лимассола, в 25 км от самого города. Деревня расположена в левой части долины реки Курис [Kouris] на высоте 550 м над уровнем моря.
Агиос Георгиос на юге и западе граничит с деревней Лофу [Lofou], на востоке &ndash с Дорос [Doros] и Монагри [Monagri], на северо-востоке &ndash с деревней Ланья [Laneia], а на севере &ndash с Силику [Silikou].
Фотo: Michalis Georghiades
Согласно преданию, в 1800 году бывший пастухом житель деревни Агиос Георгиос (обл. Пафоса) из-за засухи в его деревне забрал свою семью и своих животных и двинулся на поиски нового места для жизни. Так он добрался до реки Дкионисос (область между Агиос Георгиос и Силикос), где он поселился, найдя обширные плодородные земли и изобилие пресной воды. Затем к пастуху и его семье присоединилась другая семья из их деревни области Пафоса, и вместе они решили назвать новое поселение именем своей родной деревни &ndash Агиос Георгиос (т.е. Святой Георгий). Их потомки построили церковь Святого Георгия, которая существует и по сей день (2018 год), и в ней хранятся мощи Святого Георгия. Потомки этих двух семей до сих пор живут в этой деревне.
Деревня также известна как «Агиос Георгиос Силику» из-за своей близости к деревне Силику. Кроме того, она также известна как «Агиос Георгиос Агафиотис (Агатиотис)» [Agios Georgios Agathiotis].
Фотo: George Economides
Имеются следующие данные относительно численности населения села Агиос Георгиос (Силику): в период с 1881 года по 1946 год население деревни возросло с 163 до 327 человек, а с 1960 года началось сокращение численности населения деревни, так в 2001 году в Агиос Георгиос проживало всего 69 человек перепись населения 2011 года зарегистрировала 111 жителей, но на сегодняшний день число постоянных резидентов села - всего 96 человек.
Фотo: Pambos Hps&lrm
В деревне Агиос Георгиос можно увидеть четыре церкви. Старая церковь Святого Георгия, построенная в 1830 году, представляет собой каменную церковь с белыми стенами внутри без фресок. По некоторым данным в том же месте находился в последствии разрушенный древний монастырь. Новая церковь Святого Георгия была построена в 1928 году, но открыта лишь в 1955 году.
Фотo: George Economides
Кроме того, в деревне есть часовня Агиос Пантелеймонас (Святого Пантейлемона), построенная в 2007 году, и часовня Панагия (Богородицы) Сиркас, построенная в 1897 году. На южной стороне часовни Богородицы Сиркас до сих пор сохранились остатки стен, которые могут быть частью стен, защищавших франкское королевство, расположенное в этом районе в период франкского правления на Кипре (1192-1570).
Фотo: George Economides
В живописной деревне Агиос Георгиос посетителя встретят красивые традиционные отреставрированные старинные дома, которые буквально перенесут вас в прошлое. В селе доминирует старинная водяная мельница, а также старая фабрика по производству традиционного кипрского вина под названием «Коммандария», которую планируется превратить в музей коммандарии.
Фотo: George Economides
В деревне Агиос Георгиос выращивают следующие культуры: виноград, зерновые рожковые, миндальные, оливковые и фруктовые деревья. Традиционные продукты деревни Агиос Георгиос - это вино, зивания, палузе и шушуко, виноград.
Фотo: Yiannis Kypri&lrm
Agios Georgios Silikou
Located approximately 25 km from Lemesos is the picturesque small village known as either Agios Georgios Sylikou (Sylikou is the village located north of Agios Georgios) or as Agios Georgios Koilaniou (Koilani is the village after which a large administrative district was named). The village is also known as Agios Georgios Agkathiotis.
The naming Agkathiotis appeared, according to tradition, during the Turkish occupation, when almost all neighbouring villages had been occupied by the Turks while Agios Georgios remained free. The reason for this was that every time the invaders tried to approach the village they would come across wild thorny vegetation instead of the rich vegetation they could see from the village of Monagri located opposite Agios Georgios. As a result, they could not go through the thorns using the means at their disposal at the time and therefore had to go back without succeeding in conquering the village and that is how Agios Georgios was named Agkathiotis (thorny), that is in honour of the Saint who continues to protect the village up until today.
The village is built on the left side of the Kourris valley, on an altitude of 490 m above sea level and the area is covered by black and soultanina grape cultivations, as well as by grains, carob and almond trees.
According to tradition, during the Frankish occupation (1192-1570) there used to be a Frankish Kingdom at the location where the church of Panagia Syrkas stands today. The kingdom was ruled by Zografou with whom the great ruler Tsitsielklis from the neighbouring village of Monagri fell in love. On the southern side of the church there are still some remains of a wall which are probably parts of the walls which used to protect the aforementioned kingdom.
At the beginning of the 1800s, because of the drought that had struck the area of Pafos, Giorgkis, son of Marousa, a shepherd from Ais Giorkis Polemiou in Pafos took his wife and three children, loaded his donkeys with the necessary clothes, mattresses and cooking utensils and set off looking for a better place to stay along with their flock.
Upon reaching the river of Ezousa, he made a stop and was planning to stay there because the area was abundant in water for both humans and animals. However, after some minor conflicts he had with the locals whose interests were in jeopardy after the arrival and settlement of the shepherd in their area, he had to take his family and flock and move to another area. Moving on he reached Xeropotamos where he stayed for a few days. However, the locals once again chased him away. He fought back but it was hard to win so he had to pack his belongings and once again set off looking for new land.
As soon as they reached river Dkionisos (an area between Agios Georgios and Sylikou) he decided that it was the best area for them to settle as it had plenty of water and a lot of uncultivated pieces of land. They stayed there but once more the locals pressured and threatened them to leave. However, this time Giorkis was determined to stay there permanently. They built their farm and house just a few metres away from the river, in a place that offered both safety and coverage.
After a year, he went back to their old village Polemi alone and convinced his brother in law, Fesas, to move to the new place with his family and flock. So, the new families became two and together they faced the pressures and threats more easily.
They named the area where they were staying Agios Georgios, after the name of their village in Pafos. When their children had their own families they then built the church of Agios Georgios. This church stands in the centre of the village up until today and kept in it is the vestige of the Great Martyr Agios Georgios. (For further information regarding the churches and chapels of the village, visit the relevant page of our website). Descendants of these two families still live in the village today.
The residents of the community are well-known for their hospitality and their traditional homemade drinks of Commandaria and Zivania, as well as for their raisins and the traditional delicacy of “soutzoukos”. (Information on these traditional products can be found under the link Traditional Products).
Today, the community is experiencing a housing development by both locals and foreigners which is mainly due to the climate of the area and the short distance from the city of Lemesos.
Agios Georgios today
Lycabettus is still the highest point in Athens and arguably provides the best view of the capital. As you walk up the steep circular path, you’ll see extraordinary shape of the landscape opening itself up around you: cradled by blue mountains, white buildings pour down into the basin of the city, the blue stretch of the Aegean expanding into the horizon.
If you don’t want to walk all the way to the top, fair enough. Grab a beer and sit at one of the benches half-way. The sunset looks good from this angle too. If you do want to climb all the way, there is now a viewing platform outside the church, as well as the chi-chi Orizontes Restaurant.
An outdoor theatre was constructed out of an old quarry in 1964, and has housed many iconic musical performances in Greece’s cultural history. (The dissident musician Mikis Theodorakis sang here in the 1970s following his return to Greece after being exiled, as did Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and Chuck Berry). Sometimes, on a weekend, you can hear monks singing in the church as you make your way back down.
Agios Georgios Frangoudes Church
Just a few meters from the Limassol sea stands a white church shaped like a rotunda. This is the church of Saint George Frangoudes, which replaced the chapel of Agia Napa. Beyond its unique architecture, this chapel also stands out for its impressive interior decor.
The church was constructed following the desruction of the chapel at the outskirts of the Agios Athanasios Municipality, in an area that had begun to grow in population and could now form an entire parish. The church of Saint George Frangoudes was named after a distinguished Limassolian, Georgios S. Frangoudes, to whom the existence of the Panteion University in Greece is credited.
The white rotunda, located among the modern buildings of the area, such as the emblematic Oval, creates a unique image. What is particularly impressive is the volume of hagiography painted in its interior, with the imposing image of the Pantocrator depicted on the central dome, surrounded by dozens of narrow windows, through which the entire temple is illuminated.
Agios Georgios chapel (Yermasoyia)
On a hilltop, just a breath from the Limassol city, there is an area known among the locals as Paliomonastiro, located between Yermasoyia and Mouttayiaka. According to some, there used to be an ancient settlement in that area, while some locals still remember the ruins of gothic construction, called Houses of Rigena. Now, there is a small, beautiful chapel there, enjoying panoramic views to the entire area.
It is the chapel of Agios Georgios, which counts a few decades of life, since it first opened its doors on September 12 th 1982. Of course, long time before the construction of the chapel, the locals, as well as people passing by, used to light a candle in front of the picture of Agios Georgios, on the roots of a bush in that area.
Around the 1950s, the residents of the area decided to proceed to the construction of a small chapel, after they had cleaned – up the spot and had already performed a celebratory ceremony for the Easter. The chapel was built with low quality materials that people could find around there. Eventually, it had to be demolished in 1981, to be replaced by the beautiful, white chapel found there today, in honor of Agios Georgios.
The chapel operates twiice per year, on Easter Tuesday and on November 3 rd , to celebrate the Saint.
Agios Georgios Paphou
Agios Georgios Paphou is a small village of the homonymous province in Cyprus and it is situated 32 kilometers east of Paphos, 62 kilometers northwest of Limassol and 112 kilometers southwest of Nicosia.
Built at an altitude of 185 meters, Agios Georgios Pafou, with its approximately 100 inhabitants, borders with Mamonia, Traxupedou and Prastio of Traxupedou, and is one of the ampelochoria (wine-producing villages).
The small community, which is also known as Agios Georgios Kelokedaron, is located in a very fertile part of the Diarizou valley with vineyards and citrus trees. The valley is part of Natura 2000 as a protected area and includes areas of outstanding natural beauty with enormous historical and cultural significance. Every year several geologists, entomologists, zoologists and botanists visit it in order to observe the unique rocks, plants and animals (endemic and non) species that live in the area.
The central church of Agios Georgios Paphou is that of the homonymous saint (Saint George), who gave his name to the area and it is a modern building with a beautiful bell tower. One of the most important religious monuments in the wider region, namely 11.5 km north of the community, is Panagia of Sindi (Virgin mary of Sindi), one of the most authentic examples of monastic architecture in Cyprus, which belongs to the UNESCO Protection List. The Panagia of Sindi today is an open museum as well as an archaeological site with great historical and archaeological value.
Near the village and more specifically 5.5 km away, you will find the famous Hasaboulion Rocks or “Kourtelorotsos”, an impressive natural landscape with massive stones of recrystallized limestone of coral origin, which dominate the landscape, standing almost in the middle of the road. A living legend that survives to this day and was a source of fear to the inhabitants and the passers-by during the British occupation, Hasaboulia was a family of Turkish Cypriots who came from the Episkopi of Limassol and during the British occupation they moved to neighboring Mamonia. The Rocks of Hasamboulion, is the point where the three brothers hid and attacked the passers-by. Today it is a popular location for climbing enthusiasts and it is found on the road shortly after Kouklia and on the old road that connects Mamonia with Agios Georgios Paphou, Trachipedoula and Kidasi.
File:Old Church of Agios Georgios in Kalo Chorio Oreinis, Cyprus.jpg
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||20:47, 4 March 2020||3,120 × 3,307 (3.42 MB)||Pavlos1988 (talk | contribs)||Uploaded own work with UploadWizard|
You cannot overwrite this file.