We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Aberdeen is a seaport on the north-east coast of Scotland. Lying between the mouths of the Don and the Dee (its name means "mouth of the Dee" in Gaelic). It was initially established by the Romans but it was the Normans who exploited its potential as a port. By the end of the 13th century it was sending fish, wool, hides and timber to other parts of Britain and across the North Sea to Europe.

The city developed from two separate settlements. One known as Old Aberdeen, grew up around St Machar's Cathedral in the north. The other district, commercial Aberdeen, developed in the south, round the harbour on the Dee. Two of the earliest houses, Provost Skerne's House (1545) and Provost Ross House (1595) are now museums.

After the successes of the Stockton & Darlington and the Liverpool & Manchester lines, Aberdeen merchants began to consider the possibility of building a railway. Under the chairmanship of Thomas Blaikie, the prospectus of the Aberdeen Railway was issued in 1844. Work began in 1845 but there were serious engineering problems. This included the collapse of three arches of a viaduct being built in the town. As a result of these technical difficulties, the railway was not opened until April 1850.

The railway line was a great economic success. Whereas the steamship had permitted trade in live cattle to England, the greater speed of the railway enabled dead meat to be transported. Overnight fish trains from Aberdeen to Billingsgate in London was another important development.

By the 19th century Aberdeen, also known as 'granite city' after the stone of which it is largely built, was Scotland's largest fishing port. Aberdeen University was formed in 1860 by the merging of King's College (1494) and Marischal College (1593).

The Aberdeen Art Gallery was founded in 1885. Fifteen years later, Alexander Macdonald, bequeathed his collection and a large sum of money with the proviso that it must be spent on paintings not more than 25 years years old. As a result the gallery contains an excellent collection of 20th century paintings.

Aberdeen is divided into two towns or cities, and stands in the mouth of two rivers; one on the River Don, the other on the River Dee. The market-place, which is very beautiful and spacious; and the streets adjoining are very handsome and well built, the houses lofty and high.

The profits from salmon fishing are very considerable, for the quantity of fish taken is exceedingly great, and they are sent abroad into several parts of the world. Herring fishing is also a common blessing to all those living on this coast.

They also have a very good manufacture of linen, and also of worsted stockings, which they send to England in great quantities, and of which they make some so fine, that I have seen them sold for twenty shillings a pair.


Brown County, South Dakota, enjoys a rich aviation history. According to Brown County history, the first municipal airport in the state was established in 1921 on 100 acres of land on the Tri-State Fairgrounds north of Aberdeen. This airport had two runways, each 2,500 feet in length, and provided hangars, fueling and repair services.

Aviation activity in the area continued to grow and prosper. Brown County history reports that Security Skycraft Corporation began offering scheduled air transport in 1921 at .50 per mile with five planes operating. In 1923, Aberdeen hosted the first fly-in event in South Dakota. In 1927, Dakota Airplane Company moved to Aberdeen to manufacture aircraft propellers.

In 1930, the region's interest in airline transportation grew rapidly with Mamer Air Transport's certification by the U.S. Department of Commerce to fly a Minneapolis-Spokane route. In response, Aberdeen voters approved a $20,000 bond issue for the purchase of 160 acres of land at the present airport. Funds were also allocated for the graveling of runways and construction of a steel hangar. This new site was believed more suitable for airline services than the fairgrounds site.

Originally named Aberdeen Municipal Airport, the name was changed to Saunders Field in 1946. This change was made to honor Brigadier General Laverne "Blondie" Saunders, a WWII hero from Aberdeen. In 1979, the name of the airport was changed to the Aberdeen Regional Airport in order to closely identify with the airport's role of serving the populations of northeastern South Dakota and southeastern North Dakota. The name Saunders Field was retained in reference to the airport's airfield area. The terminal was also renamed the Aviation War Memorial Building.

What You'll Study

History at Aberdeen is diverse and takes a holistic approach to the subject. Courses are studied in chronological order so you will benefit from studying the subject within a solid context. You will gain an in-depth knowledge of past events, human activity and the relationships between cultures over a range of historical periods. Some topics that you will explore, include Scottish and European History, The Vikings, Medieval Europe, History and Philosophy of Science and The British Experience.

Six dates that changed Aberdeen's history - Aberdeen facts

Elma McEnemy presents her pick of six crucial dates that altered the course of the history of Aberdeen.

When I first started researching and writing Aberdeen in 100 Datesfor The History Press, I did not realise that each date was to be year, month and day! However, that requirement made the whole experience so much more interesting and enjoyable. Years are easily found and verified, but months and days are so much harder to establish for events long ago.

Recent dates are, of course, relatively straightforward and the book&rsquos newest date, 3 July 2015, was confirmed by direct contact with the archaeologist who led the team which found ancient skeletons on the site of the old Blackfriar friary.

I never expected to be able to source information for really early dates. That I could do so was in effect down to one person from Aberdeen&rsquos long history, a man linked to no fewer than five dates in the book. That man was William Elphinstone, known to generations of Aberdonians as the founder of the university. He was extremely important not only to Aberdeen, but also to Scotland.

It was he who brought the first printing press to Scotland in 1509. The first book published was the Aberdeen Breviary which contained prayers and writings about the lives of Scotland&rsquos saints and is a treasure trove of information about the country&rsquos early Christian traditions. It combines fact and legend and, in summary and translation, provided the earliest two dates for my own book.

According to the Aberdeen Breviary, St Columba and his disciples landed on the island of Iona on Whit Sunday 563. One of these disciples was Mocumma, also known as Machar, who brought Christianity to the Picts of the Don valley and who settled close to the estuary of the River Don in the place now known as Old Aberdeen.

The Breviary also tells of another local saint, Nathalan or Nachlan, believed to have been born on Deeside at Tullich. Nathalan led an amazing life. Legend tells of his pilgrimage to Rome, travelling with his right arm chained and padlocked to his right leg. Before leaving, he threw the key to the padlock into the River Dee. Months later in Rome, cutting open a fish he had bought to eat, he miraculously discovered the key to his padlock! On his return he built several churches on Deeside, including one at Tullich. He died on 8 January 678.

William Elphinstone was born in Glasgow in 1431, the son of a churchman who was first Dean of Arts of Glasgow University. William himself studied at University in Glasgow and Paris and in 1488 was consecrated Bishop of Aberdeen and created Chancellor of Scotland by King James III. An excellent statesman, diplomat, lawmaker and devout churchman, Bishop Elphinstone travelled widely in Europe as the King&rsquos Ambassador.

On 10 February 1495 the Pope granted the bishop a licence for the foundation of a university in Old Aberdeen. This was the third founded in Scotland and the fifth in the UK and was named King&rsquos College to acknowledge the wholehearted support of King James IV. Bishop Elphinstone also continued the construction of St Machar&rsquos Cathedral and instigated work for a stone bridge to form a safe crossing of the River Dee.

When he died on 25 October 1514, he bequeathed £20,000 to ensure the bridge was completed. The same bridge is still in use today, albeit following restoration in the 1700s and a major project to widen it in the first half of the 1800s. The facings were carefully removed, a new section was added on the upstream side and on 4 October 1842 the new, widened Bridge of Dee was formally opened.

About the author

Elma McMenemy is the author of Aberdeen in 100 Datespublished by History Press which features 100 key dates which shaped the city forever.

The Karoo, South Africa

Klaas, the faithful retainer
of the explorer Le Vaillant,
was typical of the Khoikhoi
of the late eigtheenth century


The early known history of Aberdeen dates back to the late seventeenth century when Ensign Shriver was sent by Governor Simon van der Stel to barter trade goods for the sheep and cattle of the Inqua Khoisan under the leadership of Heykon. The first meeting between the Inqua and Ensign Shriver took place some 30-kilometres north west of Aberdeen in the lee of the Onder Sneeuberge in January 1689.

These initial contacts between the indigenous people of the region and the European settlers at Cape Town were a pre-cursor to the movement of the Trekboers or nomadic farmers who moved away from the restrictions imposed on them by the rule of the Dutch East India Company in Cape Town.

In 1777 Captain Robert Jacob Gordon an employee of the Dutch East India Company travelled along the Kraai River in the vicinity of Aberdeen and with the assistance of a draughtsman drew a panoramic view of the Camdeboo Mountains from the crest of a small koppie or hillock some seven kilometres from Aberdeen towards Graaff-Reinet. This koppie later became known as Gordon’s koppie and is situated close to the N9 highway towards Graaff-Reinet.

The English botanist William Paterson accompanied Gordon on his travels. By the late eighteenth century many Trekboers had moved into the Camdeboo and this movement coincided with the establishment of Graaff-Reinet in 1786. Other important explorers and travellers in the area included the French naturalist Francois le Vaillant in 1783 and John Barrow who was entrusted with the task of reconciling the Dutch settlers and the indigenous population in the interior of the Cape Colony after its seizure by the British from the Dutch in 1795.

The original title deeds for the land on which Aberdeen is situated were signed by the British Governor Lord Charles Somerset in 1817. Aberdeen was established on the farm Brakkefontein which was sold by its owner Jan Vorster to the Dutch Reformed Church in 1855.

The new settlement was named Aberdeen in honour of the birthplace of the Reverend Andrew Murray (senior). Many of the title deeds for property in Aberdeen date back to 1857 when the Dutch Reformed Church Council began to sell land to early residents in the precinct surrounding the church.

The 2nd Anglo Boer War caused tremendous dissension between Dutch and English residents of Aberdeen in line with many of the smaller towns scattered across the hinterland of the Cape Colony.

During the war 139 residents of Aberdeen rebelled against the Colonial Administration and joined up with the Boers fighting on behalf of the Orange Free State and the Transvaal. By so doing they were technically traitors as all residents of the Cape Colony irrespective of whether they spoke Dutch or English were British citizens.

The Aberdeen Cemetery provides a window on this particularly unsettled period in the history of the town. Commandant Carel van Heerden was killed in a hail of bullets on 12 May 1902 during a shoot-out outside the Dutch Reformed Church whilst trying to steal horses belonging to the British. His men managed to get away with 54 horses. John Baxter was shot for wearing British khaki, as many of the Commandos were forced to wear clothing captured from the British. Baxter had asked directions to his camp from a local shepherd. Thinking he was British because of his apparel the shepherd directed him to the British encampment where he was captured by the 17th Lancers.

The cemetery also contains a memorial commemorating the death of the 25 British Officers, Non –Commissioned Officers and Men who fell in the district in the 2nd Anglo Boer War between 1899 and 1902.

One of the famous historical figures that saw action in the Aberdeen district during the 2nd Anglo Boer War was Lawrence Edward Grace Oates. Serving in the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons he suffered a gunshot wound to his left thigh in March 1901 which shattered his leg and left it an inch shorter than his right leg when it eventually healed.

In that skirmish he was twice called upon to surrender, and replied "We came to fight, not to surrender." He was recommended for the Victoria Cross for his actions. He was promoted to Lieutenant in 1902 and Captain in 1906.

He later served in Ireland, Egypt, and India. He was nursed by the Harvey family of 16 Brand Street in Aberdeen where he celebrated his 21st birthday. The wound caused him a lifelong limp. Oates accompanied Captain Robert Falcon Scott on the British Polar Expedition to the South Pole in 1910. He was in charge of 19 Siberian ponies, the care of which consumed his health. After the horses were destroyed, Oates and the men hauled their own equipment. His old war wound became gangrenous and he was unable to pull his sledge. Bearing unendurable pain he deliberately walked out into a blizzard and the bitter cold and was never seen again. It was on the day of his 32nd birthday that he made the supreme sacrifice. The whole party perished but the following year when a relief party found Scott's diaries, they found that he had written: “Oates slept through the night hoping not to wake, but he awoke in the morning. It was blowing a blizzard. Oates said: ‘I am just going outside, and may be some time.’ He went outside and we have not seen him since. We knew that Oates was walking to his death, but though we tried to dissuade him, we knew it to be the act of a brave man and an English Gentleman.”

Available Programmes of Study

Single Honours Degrees

Joint Honours Degrees

Major-Minor Honours Degrees

You may also be interested in.

Joint Honours Degrees

  • MA Anthropology and History
  • MA Archaeology and History
  • MA Business Management and History
  • MA Celtic & Anglo-Saxon Studies and History
  • MA Economics and History
  • MA English and History
  • MA Film & Visual Culture and History
  • MA French and History
  • MA French and History (5 years)
  • MA Gaelic Studies and History
  • MA German and History
  • MA German and History (5 years)
  • MA History and Spanish & Latin American Studies (5 years)

Discover More

Your complete guide to what’s on and what to see and do in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire.

Connect with us


Copyright © VisitAberdeenshire 2021 | Privacy Policy | Accessibility | About Us

Aberdeen - History

Aberdeen is a place name that applies to a much larger area than what is being delineated as "Aberdeen" for the purposes of this survey. This area initially developed as the direct result of the widening of Beacon street during the mid 1880s and the subsequent introduction of Henry M.Whitney's West End Street Railway which was set out over Beacon Street, Brookline in 1886. Aberdeen is historically significant as a planned residential community which complements the Frederick Law Olmsted-designed "Chestnut Hill Loop" system of roads that links Chestnut Hill Avenue with Beacon Street, just east of the Chestnut Hill Reservoir.

From the seventeenth through late 19th century, this area was remote from major population centers at Brighton Center and Brookline Village. The nearest major thoroughfares were Washington Street, to the north east, a highway that had been set out during the mid 17th century, and the early 19th century Rockland Street (Chestnut Hill Avenue), to the southwest as late as the 1860s, this area was completely devoid of dwellings. The construction of the 212-acre Chestnut Hill Reservoir during the late 1860s at the Brighton -Newton boundary called attention to the rugged, rural charms of the Aberdeen area but did not trigger house construction in this still-remote section. As early as 1866, Henry M. Whitney, an executive in the Metropolitan Steamship Company, saw the possibilities of Beacon Street, which had been laid out in 1850 as a fifty-foot wide county way. He began buying up farms in the vicinity as an investment, and later formed a syndicate, the West End Land Company, that bought on an even larger scale. Whitney, a member of the Brookline Parks Commission, had originally proposed to widen Beacon Street to 200 feet, a recommendation later scaled hack to 160 feet. Whitney insured the success of residential development on parcels bordering Beacon Street by the introduction of the electrified West End Street Railway over this thoroughfare in 1887 Whitney was also the president of this railway. The Aberdeen section 's creation is inextricably bound to Whitney's far-sighted Beacon Street, Brookline project.

During the 1870s, much of this area was part of a large undeveloped tract owned by Frances Hunnewell. The southwestern edge of this area, in the vicinity of Kinross and Chiswick Roads, was owned by J. Smith Homans. By 1885, 90 percent of this area was owned by the Beacon Street Land Company Trust. Reuben E. Demmon held the remaining 10% consisting of a narrow parcel bordering the south side of Commonwealth Avenue.

Commonwealth Avenue, on the north side of this area, was conceived by the preeminent late 19th century American landscape Frederick Law Olmsted in 1884. Construction on the avenue was completed during the early 1890s but the depression of 1893 delayed the landscaping and accounted for a general halt in Boston house construction. This economic down turn also accounts, in part, for the lag in Aberdeen's house construction between the introduction of the electric railway to Beacon Street in 1887 and the mid -1890s. The streets in this area were set out during the mid -late 1890s with the exception of Sutherland Road which was originally called Roxbury Avenue. It was set out between 1867 and 1874, from Chestnut Hill Avenue to the no longer extant Howard Place north of Commonwealth Avenue. The segment of Sutherland south of Englewood was called Isleworth Street during the late 1880s and 1890s while the northern segment has been called Sutherland Road since the late 1880s. Approximately 77 feet of Sutherland Road was lost to the laying out of Commonwealth Avenue during the early 1890s. Selkirk Road and Chiswick Roads appear on the 1885 Brighton Atlas as proposed streets that did not exactly follow the current paths of these winding ways. Kilsyth Road or "Road No. l" first appears in the Street Commissioner's Report of 1893 and Lanark Road which existed on paper as early as 1889 but was not set out until 1897.

The earliest houses in this area seem to have been built a year or so before the financial panic of 1893. Most of these early residences border the streets of the oval island formed by Lanark and Kilsyth Roads, although survivors from this first "wave" of house construction are scattered about the entire area. Bankers, businessmen, commodities dealers and teachers, were among the original owners of these stylish and substantial houses. For example, 77 Chiswick Road was built in 1892 from designs provided by Boston architect W.F. Goodwin for Frank F. Woods, treasurer of the S.A. Woods Machine Company. By 1909, State Street, Boston businessman Henry Taggard owned this property. Later owners included Orville W. Butler (1910s) and Frank A. McClasky, banker with Hodgdon-Cashman, 53 State Street (1920s). By 1930, McClasky is listed as president and treasurer of the Phoenix Bond and Mortgage Co., 89 State Street. Another W.F. Goodwin-designed residence is 131 Kilsyth Road , a substantial residence characterized by Shingle Style gambrel-roofed forms, Queen Anne fenestration and Colonial Revival elements. It was built by H.H. Hunt in 1892-93 for a Frank Woodruff. Across the street, perched on a high rubble stone foundation and blending almost seamlessly with its ledgy, wooded surroundings, 132 Kilsyth Road was extant by 1899. An early owner was William T. Glidden whose profession is variously listed as "clerk" and "investments". The robust Queen Anne house at 123 Kilsyth Road was extant by 1899. From the late 1890s until the 1910s it was owned by George E. Perrin who commuted to a clerk's job on Devonshire Street, Boston. During the 1920s and 1930s, John Louis Sheehan, lawyer lived here. Glidden owned this property until at least the early 1930s. The splendidly rustic residence of Charles H. Bacall at 155 Kilsyth Road was designed in the Shingle/Craftsman style by Cabot, Everett and Mead, architects of the First Unitarian Church at 189 Chestnut Hill Avenue, Brighton, also in 1892-1893. By the late 1890s, a Winthrop Smith is located at this address with later owners including Gertrude M. Smith during the 1910s and 1920s and Joseph F. O'Connell by 1930.

One of the finest examples of the Shingle Style in this area is 45 Lanark Road which was owned during the mid-1890s by Horace Partridge, president of the Horace Partridge Co., purveyors of "wholesale fancy goods". In 1894, Partridge's residence is listed as North Cambridge. By 1909 a Music teacher named Lizzie E. Orth lived here. Later owners included William a. Fisher (1910s) and P. B Heintz, president and general manager of the National Casket co. at 3 Park Street, Boston.

Selkirk Road boasts a small but choice concentration of Queen Anne and Shingle style residences that are constructed, in part, with local ledge quarried materials including 10 Selkirk Road . Built during the mid-1890s, this house's original owner was a Henrietta Woodman. From 1909 until at least the early 1930s, this house was owned by Miriam G. and Samuel A. Myers. Mr. Myers was a partner in S.A. and A. Myers, 36 Otis Street, in 1899 for Mary and Charles A. Walker. Mr. Walker is listed as an artist with a studio at 20 Beacon Street, later 116 Harrison Avenue. Boston architect George A. Mitchell designed 14 Selkirk Road .

The Queen Anne Forest S. Smith House at 15 Selkirk Road was built during the 1890s for an associate of Hosmer, Robinson Co., dealers in hay, grain and straw at 177 Milk Street. Smith lived here until the late 1920s. By 1930, this house was occupied by Ferdinand S. Bloom, assistant treasurer, William Bloom and Co., a "steamship contracting, stevedore and freight handing company." One of the most elaborate houses ever built in Brighton as well as in the Aberdeen section, is 24 Selkirk Road . Built during the 1890s, this towered Queen Anne /Shingle style house with its great stone entrance arch was built for a Rachel C. Mayo. By c. 1920, Hannah and Edward S. Booth owned this property. Based on Milk Street in downtown Boston, Booth's business is listed as "steam ship contracting, stevedore and freight handling". Situated at the northeast corner of Selkirk and Sutherland Roads, 111 Sutherland Road is a commodious towered Queen Anne house possessing an irregular form. It rises 2.5 stories from a ledge stone basement to an intersecting gable. Its surfaces exhibit a Stick Style overlay of wooden elements evident in the apron panel detail. The southwest wall exhibits an unusual window containing sash in the shape of a six-pointed star. From the 1890s until at least the mid 1920s, this was the home of an Antoinette F. Bartlett.

One of a group of four 1890s houses that managed to escape obliteration for the accommodation of apartments is the Queen Anne style residence at 25 Kinross Road . Possibly built as an investment property for Elizabeth and R. Fenner Curtis, Mr. Curtis was a teacher at the Curtis Peabody School, a private school located at 86 Beacon Street, Boston. The Curtis' are listed as living at 18 St. Stephen Street, Boston during the 1890s.

A rather late example of a single-family house in the Aberdeen area is 77 Kilsyth Road . Built in 1908, on the eve of the introduction of the electric railway to nearby Commonwealth Avenue, this wooden Queen Anne house was built for real estate developer Robert M. Goode of 96 Kilsyth Street, from designs provided by Louis P. McCarron. In 1909, this house's owner is listed as Flora L. Allen. Later owners included Gertrude H. Bowen (1910s) and Margaret G. and John J. Cassidy, florist at 6 Beacon Street, Boston during the 1920s and 1930s.

Turning to the apartment houses of Aberdeen, one of the earliest multi-family buildings in this area are the bow front Georgian Revival apartments at 2-8 Colliston Road . Built in 1908-1909 by John C. Foley, architect and builder who was based at 336 Lowell Street, Somerville, this group's land had been part of the West End Land Co.'s holdings.

This development company was headed by Henry M. Whitney, president of a Boston steam ship company and Beacon Street, Brookline's West End Elevated Railway. During the 1910s and 20s, the owners of this group were of Irish and Yankee backgrounds, a pattern that was atypical for this area as a sizable number of Jewish families rented apartments in this area by the 1920s. Over time, owners of 2-8 Colliston Road included Margaret C. Tobin (1909), John A. and Beile Gardiner (1910s), Margaret M. Culhane and Margaret M. Davis (1925) while tenants listed at this address in 1930 included Frederic J. Wood (#2) , insurance, 184 High Street, Frank A. Halloran (#4), real estate, Ella G. Fiske and Mrs. Ellen Fiske (#6) and Henry J. Horn (#8), railroad analyst.

By the 1910s, the rocky terrain at the northern end of Sutherland Road, near Commonwealth Avenue, had been tamed sufficiently to accommodate large-scale apartment house construction. Blending elements of the Georgian and Egyptian Revival styles, 116-132 Sutherland Road also known as the Kinross Apartments was built c. 1917-1924 on part of a lot that had been the site of the residence of Lillian B. Kelly (early 1900s) and Arabella S. Mudge who owned the entire block bounded by Lanark, Kinross and Sutherland Roads. By 1925, 116-132 Sutherland Road were extant and owned by Mary I. Gardiner et als, trustees. Across the street at 119-127 Sutherland Road , these Georgian Revival apartments were built c. 1925-1930, replacing a c. 1890s brick residence that had been built for a Velma E. Maxwell.

Prominently sited at the north west comer of Commonwealth Avenue and Sutherland Road, is a V-shaped configuration of three, 12 family apartment buildings at 1706-1710 Commonwealth Avenue and 148 Sutherland Road . Designed in the Georgian Revival style in 1915, from designs provided by Somerville architect John C. Foley, this ensemble was constructed by Dorchester builder Frederick A. Corbett. A review of its tenants in 1930 reveals an eclectic mix of Jewish, Irish, Italian, and Swedish names.

Among the best known apartments in Allston-Brighton is the group of James A. Halloran-designed apartments at 1714-1742 Commonwealth Avenue . These apartments were built by the Dorchester contractor Frederick A. Corbett. Douglass Shand Tucci, in Built in Boston. Citv and Suburb, includes photographs of these eight six-unit apartment buildings noteworthy for their lively Tudor Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival surface treatments. During the late 19th century, this group's land had been part of the J. Homans tract (1870s), Reuben E. Demmon tract (1880s) and the Horace W. Jordan and George A. Wilson lands. The latter, a major "mover and shaker" in late 19th century Brighton, having operated the Brighton Hotel, won a teaming contract along with B.F. Ricker related to the construction of the Chestnut hill Reservoir and ,above all, was a major property owner and real estate developer. By 1916, 1714-1742 Commonwealth Avenue was owned by Josephine Ringrose of Dorchester. By 1925, this group was owned by a Thomas Rush and real estate developer Victor Brusendorf. By 1930, this group's roster of owners included Samuel W. Hurwitz, printer (1714), Sidney R. Paul, wholesale women's coats, 600 Washington Street (1718), Albert R. Hussey, salesman (1722), Arthur R. Stott, salesman (1726), beauty shop-owner Sadie Gillespie (1730) and Charles R. Werner, real estate (1736- 1742).

Continuing southwestward along Commonwealth Avenue, is the Georgian Revival group at 1746-1762 Commonwealth Avenue . Possessing a late 19th/early 20th century lot history identical to that of 1714- 1742 Commonwealth Avenue, 1746-1762 Commonwealth Avenue was built in 1926 from designs provided by the amazingly prolific Boston architectural firm of Silverman, Brown and Heenan, a firm that, to a great degree, shaped the face of Park Drive in the West Fens as well as many of the streets in the apartment districts of Allston-Brighton during the first quarter of the 20th century. This group replaced the house and stable of Florence L. Smith whose address was 8 Kinoss Road. These apartments were originally owned by Allston-Brighton apartment developers Berson and Berrish.

By 1920, the Aberdeen area was almost completely developed, thanks to steam rollers, dynamite and macadamized road construction that was widely utilized by municipalities during the late 1880s and 1890s to make rugged terrain viable for house and road construction. A late addition to this neighborhood is the small, curious development of three deckers at Wilson Park . Situated at the northeast comer of the Aberdeen area, this oval green space is tucked away behind a commercial block at 1686 Commonwealth Avenue. This "pocket" park and adjacent house lots were carved from the extensive holdings of Henry M. Whitney, Boston steam ship company president and owner of the West End Railway that began operating on Beacon street, Brookline in 1887. Although Wilson Park was set out by 1916, the three deckers on the east side of the park were built c. 1920. Residents of the three-deckers numbered 25 and 33 Wilson Park included Phillip J. Hurlburt, upholsterer and Joseph C. Leighton, manager, at 25 Wilson Park and Phillip J. Eon, auto mechanic at 33 Wilson Park.


In the 8th AD, Aberdeen was founded as a settlement for fishing. It grew into a town in the early 12th century. By 1264, Aberdeen already had a castle. [1]

Aberdeen is famous for its buildings made from granite. Because of grey colour of the stone, Aberdeen is called the "Silver City by the Golden Sands". Aberdeen has two universities, the University of Aberdeen which was founded on 10 February 1495 by Bishop William Elphinstone and Robert Gordon University which was founded in 1910 but has a history dating back to the 1800s.

The local people sometimes speak in a dialect called Doric. They are called Aberdonians.

Aberdeen has its own football team, Aberdeen F.C.. The team plays in the Scottish Premier League.

Each year in August, Aberdeen hosts the Aberdeen International Youth Festival. This is one of the most important annual events in Scotland. Hundred of groups of young performing artists come to Aberdeen each year for the festival.

Aberdeen shares its name with Aberdeen, Idaho and Aberdeen, Washington in this Gallery.

The Town of Aberdeen was incorporated by an Act of the General Assembly in 1892. The Act provided for the election of five Commissioners who would enact ordinances necessary for the governance of the Town, which at its inception numbered about 700 people. The powers of the Commissioners were particularly enumerated under the Act, including the provision for the appointment of a town clerk and bailiff.

The Bailiff provided the police function for the Town. Apparently there had been some provision for law enforcement prior the incorporation of the Town because a jail, known as &ldquoThe Dungeon&rdquo had been erected previously at the corner of Howard Street and Walnut Alley. It was a two cell affair constructed of stone it stood to the rear of what became the Town Hall.

The position of Bailiff remained a fixture in the Town through the late nineteenth century. The position was held by the following individuals: Charles Thompson,

Frank Doyle, John Temple, Charlie Shears, John Bowman and Mack Bowman. The title of Bailiff evolved into that of Chief of Police. In a photograph dated &ldquoabout 1900&rdquo John Temple is identified as Chief of Police. Appointed in 1919, James B. &ldquoBen&rdquo Ray became one of the longest serving police chiefs in America, retiring in 1965. Ben was something of a character. In the 1950&rsquos and &lsquo60&rsquos it was not uncommon to see him &ldquowalking his beat&rdquo in uniform Bermuda shorts, knee high black socks and carrying a swagger stick.

In 1936 the Town erected a stone building at the corner of W. Bel Air Avenue and Philadelphia Boulevard (Rt. 40), its original purpose was to serve as a comfort station for travelers. Apparently the Town fathers realized that the building was being under utilized and moved the Town offices and the Police Department there. The old jail was abandoned in 1948 when new cell and court space was made available in the rear of the firehouse located at W. Bel Air Avenue and Parke Street. The Police Department took over the remainder of that building when the fire department constructed a larger facility at Rogers and Franklin Streets in 1973.

Through the mid twentieth century the police department grew as the Towns population grew. During WWII the Department numbered three, by 1967 the Department numbered fifteen full time officers and three part time. The Chief of Police at that time was Chester Roberts. He was succeeded by William P. Krouse, a veteran of the Department for over twenty-five years. The next Chief was also a veteran officer, Arthur B. &ldquoWhitey&rdquo Elliott who served until August, 1981. By now the Department had grown to thirty-eight officers. Retired Maryland State Police Colonel Lemuel Porter took over and remained Chief until 1989. He was followed by John R. &ldquoJack&rdquo Jolley, a retired US Army major and former Provost Marshal on the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. During his term of office Aberdeen went from being a Town to becoming a City. Chief Jolley left the Department in December, 1994 and was succeeded by Michael Zotos, a retired Deputy Commissioner from the Baltimore City Police Department. Chief Zotos retired four years later in 1999. Retired MSP Captain Randy Rudy became Chief of the Department in February, 2000. During his tenure the Department moved into new facilities located in the north wing of City Hall. In 2006 the Department reached its largest authorized complement of 46 sworn officers unfortunately, as a result of the Great Recession of 2008 budget cuts caused a reduction in force. The Department is currently authorized 40 officers. In October, 2010 Chief Rudy retired from the agency. Captain Henry G. Trabert was appointed Chief, the first officer to rise through the ranks to that position since Arthur Elliott in the 1970&rsquos.

The Aberdeen Police Department is a full service police agency. It consists of a Patrol Division staffed by 24 patrolmen and overseen by a lieutenant. The Criminal Investigation Division has three full time investigators and a crime scene technician three additional detectives (including a K-9) are assigned to the Special Operations Unit and are responsible for street level narcotics and vice investigations. A fourth detective is assigned full time to the Harford County Task Force, a county wide multi-jurisdictional unit investigating mid- and upper level drug trafficking organizations. CID is supervised by a lieutenant. The Administrative lieutenant is responsible for procurement, quartermaster inventory, fleet maintenance, records management, police communications and numerous other related activities. He supervises and is assisted by an administrative sergeant, who oversees two School Resource officers and crossing guards and a civilian clerical supervisor. The Department also deploys a Special Weapons and Tactics Team, an Honor Guard and a Vehicle Accident Reconstruction Team. Under the Office of the Chief is a Deputy Chief, who is responsible for the day-today operations of the Department and a civilian CALEA manager. And to think, it all started with a Town Bailiff.

Watch the video: Aberdeen 0-1 St Johnstone. Mays Late Goal Gives St Johnstone First Win! cinch Premiership